Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Personal Contribution to Climate Change

    I recently learned that Indigenous Cultures all around the Earth are not having Children due to the deteriorating state of our Earth.  I am not having another Child for the same Reasons.  I would Adopt if my Financial situation was more Stable.  All Children are God’s Children and I know I would not Love an Adopted Child any less than my own Flesh and Blood Daughter.  We are One in the larger Scheme of the Universe. 
    In the same document I learned that the Elders of Multiple Native Cultures believe that we have Tipped the Scale of the Point of No Return.  I believe the same.  There are no quick fixes or any more band aids up the sleeve of Humanity.  We have made our Bed and now Must lie in that same Bed.  We only have Ourselves to Blame for the Predicament Humanity and All the Earth is in at this moment in time. 
     I want to be Optimistic, however, I do not see Enough Humans wanting to make Progressive Steps toward a More Sustainable Spiritual Way of Life.  I Witness Denial, Lack of Awareness, Ignorance and no Sense of Mindfulness.  My Soul is Tired and Exhausted.  Even at Home the Lack of Awareness is in my Face.  I live with a Human who throws away Recyclables, is not Mindful of Water and Electricity, Eats Factory Farmed Meat and sits watching Television and Playing Computer Games for Hours.  And I am not talking about my Thirteen Year Old Daughter.  I try to Educate my Family and Friends.  I guess None are Listening. 
     Most Days I know it is Only the Grace of the Divine that I get out of Bed and Do What has to Be Done for the Day. 
     I know that there is So Much More I Could Do to Help our Earth.  Many days I Fall Short of my Own Goals.  For Example the Use of Electricity in our Home…my Ecological Footprint is Not Even Close to being Sustainable and I do Try.  It is Truly Depressing and Distressing.  So I wrote a short note about the Use of Electricity in Our Home.  What Would We do if Our Electrical Grid Crashes???  Scary Thought.  I Believe it is Time to Prepare for the Possibility.
             
                                         My Personal Contribution To Climate Change

     Did I read that total correctly?  Really?  It takes four Earths to sustain my lifestyle???!!!  I enjoy randomly calculating my ecological footprint just to see how poorly my meager attempts at saving the Earth are working…or not working at all.  I thought I was making a conscious effort to live an environmentally eco-friendly, sustainable life.  Am I “Green” or am I fooling myself?  Melting glaciers, deforestation, mass extinction of animal and plant life, worldwide famine and global pandemics are witnessed on a daily basis.  Humans are the contemporary volcano or meteorite that will drastically change the Earth, as we know it.
            The “Living Green” journey is long, overwhelming and not necessarily easy.  There are bumps, blocks, forks and potholes.  Living green requires time, patience, the ability to analyze oneself and lots of compassion.  If we are to balance the climate of our planet, the time has come for every individual to honestly, completely and deeply analyze oneself.        
     The actions of every individual will make or break humanity.  There are approximately 7,000,000,000 human beings entangled in the Web of Life on Planet Earth.  The most common responses I receive concerning climate change are: “I am only one person.”  Rosa Parks, Gandhi and Abraham Lincoln were only one person. “Governments and corporations are to blame for the climate change.”  Governments and corporations are made up of individuals.  “The climate is not changing.”  What reality are you living in?  “It will not happen in my lifetime.”  What planet are you living on?  The mind can have a difficult time wrapping itself around the idea that one individual makes a difference.  Can one person make a difference?  Can one person change the climate?  After contemplating the Web of Life, the idea becomes easier to understand.  Every action of every individual has a consequence that affects the climate of the Earth.      
      I began analyzing how much electrical energy my family of three humans consumed.  The results are staggering:  135 outlets (including outlet strips, extension cords and wall outlets), 59 light bulbs, 9 plug in air fresheners/night lights, 5 standing fans, 4 televisions, 4 DVD players, 5 computers, 1 game system, 3 telephones, 4 sinks, 3 VCR players, 3 mobile phones, 2 stereos, 3 vacuums, 3 floor cleaners, 2 printers, 2 ceiling fans, 2 toilets, 2 Sonic Care Toothbrushes, 2 hairdryers, shower, water heater, water softener, water pump, refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, coffee grinder, stove, crock pot, juicer, food saver, blender, chopper, dehydrator, can opener, camcorder, digital camera, cable box, answering machine, washer, dryer, furnace, carbon monoxide detector, I pod, paper shredder, flat iron, clothes iron, curling iron, heating pad, humidifier, dehumidifier, garage door opener, multiple strands of Christmas lights and Decorations and I know that the attic contains more electronic treasures hidden in boxes and plastic storage containers.  This is my personal energy consumption contribution to climate change.  What is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment